Thursday, April 24, 2008

Ben Folds Live

For many years, I have been a fan of Ben Folds (and his five...before they broke up). My friend Scott introduced me to his music sometime in high school. But up until last night, I hadn't had a chance to see him preform live. It was awesome. He played some of my favorites: Fred Jones Part II, Rockin' the Suburbs, Kate, Annie waits... Great tunes! The concert was at Saltair. This was the first time I've been to that venue... not my favorite. Part of the problem is that Anna and I both left our wallets home so we didn't have our IDs to get into the bar where there was a significantly better view. So we were stuck in the middle of big crowd of people trying to see over the tall guy in the gray shirt-hate him. After a while, we moved to the back on the side, where we could see quite a bit better. We had a great time. Ben puts on a good show. Oh yeah, and he threw his stool at the piano at the end. I loved that.

Before the concert, we met Anna and Peter and at Pete's request, went out for sushi. This was a first for Michael and Anna. I had sushi once with an old man a few years ago. Pete ordered everything for us because the rest of us didn't really know what to order. I didn't love it, didn't hate it. But it was a fun experience.

2 comments:

Sra said...

Saltair blows. I hate that you have to pay a "convenience" fee on top of the ticket price, and then pay to park (even though there's nowhere else to park other than Saltair's lot), and then pay for a "membership" to the bar section (in no other bar venue do you have to pay both a ticket or cover fee and a membership fee). Unfortunately, sometimes must-see acts go there.

I hate when people destroy or otherwise abuse instruments on stage. I think they ought to be respected! Is nothing sacred?

I also can't say I hated sushi, but my issue is that the pieces are so large that it makes you want to gag. Can't they cut them smaller?

whateverin' said...

It totally did rock! And it was a special treat to see you there!
:-)