Thursday, March 27, 2008

An End to Limbo?

The last year of my life has not been exactly what I'd had in mind before it started. You see, at this time last year, Michael was about to graduate from BYU with a degree in Actuarial Sciences. Shortly thereafter, he was going to take and pass the first Actuarial exam, and get a great job on the northwest coast. I was going to get a great travel job in the same city and we were going to live rent free for 3-6 months (travel nurses get free housing), save-save-save- and buy a house where we would live happily ever after.

Didn't happen... We are still living in a basement apartment in American Fork, UT. Michael did graduate from BYU with a degree in Actuarial Sciences last April, but the rest is yet to work out. He is employed at 1-800 Contacts and I am working at a Dialysis Clinic. We are NOT living rent-free. Michael did pass the exam in November and is currently in the process of applying for a job. We are learning that it is not easy to get a job if you are not a nurse. Entry level positions are the hardest to get because the experience field on the resume is basically blank. Not to mention having to send applications via email. Oh, and there's that economic recession (shhhhh, don't tell Pres. Bush, he doesn't know). So needless to say, this is taking longer than we thought it would.

It might sound like I am complaining... I'm not (Although 2 months ago I was). It has been a lot of fun to have so much time to spend together and to live so close to both of our families. I know someday we will look back on these responsibility-free days and wish we could have them back.

It's just that for a lot of this year, it's felt like we've been living in a state of limbo. Should we buy tickets to that concert? I don't know... Will he have a job by then? If he does, we won't be around to use them. Should we take that vacation we've been wanting to go on? I don't know... Will he have a job by then? Which airport should we fly out of? I don't know... Where will we live by then?

So, about a month ago, I decided that we had to get out of limbo and just start living our lives. We bought those concert tickets (Ben Folds, April 23, 2008, SLC) and we planned that trip (Costa Rica, April 8-16 2008- flight departs out of SLC). The funny thing is that since we've done this, Michael has had 3 companies call him wanting to interview him. One in California, one in Texas, and one in Illinois.

So, is there an end to Limbo? I don't know yet, but things are looking up. I'll let you know after we get back from Costa Rica :)

2 comments:

Sra said...

Amen, sista. Can't put your life on hold. Got to live in the moment.

Nichole Bruce said...

Have fun in Costa Rica!!