Thursday, March 20, 2008

New Hobby



For many years, I've wanted to learn how to draw. A few years ago, when I was in Ecuador, my friend Ashlee lent me her "teach yourself to draw" book. I learned how to draw basic shapes such as cubes, cones, and cylinders. Once, I even drew a feather, but I didn't do much with it.

Then nursing school happened... no time to learn to draw.


Then the awful nursing job at VA happened... too stressed/depressed to care.


Then I quit that awful job and started working at my current job... University of Utah Dialysis Program... ahhhhhhhh. It is a lovely job. I only work three days a week, Mon, Wed, Fri. What should I do with those other four days? Tues: ski, Sun: church, Sat and Thurs: DRAW (among other things).


About 6 weeks ago I bought my very own "teach yourself to draw book" called Drawing for the Utter and Absolute Beginner. Above are my first two drawings which were an assignment in the book. Since then, I've been practicing by drawing some household items. I have a long way to go, but at least I'm on my way. Here are some of the household items I've done:


6 comments:

anna jo said...

nat, that is so cute! I am so happy that you are taking the time (and finally have the time!) to learn something new. we should all develop our talents more. you are an inspiration. :)

Sra said...

I'm a huge believer in constantly striving to improve yourself. I think that's the meaning of life. So kudos.

You should check out Local Girl's Day in Picture, a fun comic blog. Her drawings aren't really good, per se, but a think "good" is measured a little differently in cartoons, don't you think? Maybe you can create a graphic blog someday.

And also, I didn't know your VA job was so awful, but I'm glad you are out of it now.

Lula Mae said...

Wow, good job. What's next brain surgery? For me, they would be equally difficult.

Marie said...

Fun times Natalie! Thanks for tracking me down! Add me to your blog list, I'll add you to mine. It sounds like you guys are having fun and doing well.

Marie

Marie said...

Fun times Natalie! Thanks for tracking me down! Add me to your blog list, I'll add you to mine. It sounds like you guys are having fun and doing well.

Marie

Rusty and Tara said...

I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooo impressed! You have a lot to overcome with our art genes (although it looks like you lean toward dad--lucky duck)
Cali Texas and Illinois--what about Denver??? Don't those companies know you need to move close to your sister???