Friday, April 10, 2009

Working Out Isn't Working Out

Last night Michael and I decided to go to the local rec-center to work out. We bought an annual pass in January. I have not been working out much because of some painful varicose veins leftover from my pregnancy (I tried running about a month ago, but it hurt too much), so when I decided to go try the low-impact elliptical machine, it was kind of a big step for me.
Also, I haven't wanted to take Jack there while he was so young and his immune system was so frail, but he's almost 3 months old now, and he has been out enough that I feel comfortable taking him there.
So anyway Michael went to work out in the weight room and I went over to the cardio side. I had Jack sitting there in his car seat beside me as I began my workout. About 1 min into my warm up, a staff member came up to me and said that I wasn't allowed to have my baby in the cardio room (the last place I had a membership did not allow children in the cardio or weight areas, but did allow infants in car seats, so I figured that this was ok). She said that the reason for this rule was that someone could "fly off a treadmill and injure the baby." She then let me know that I was welcome to take him to the daycare for a small fee of $2.50/hr.
So, I figure that if I workout 5 times/week, it'll cost me $50/ month to put Jack in the daycare to keep him safe from people flying off treadmills (It is only $25/month for our couples pass). I think he is significantly more likely to get injured in the daycare than he is by someone flying off a treadmill.
My point is, I don't mind that you enforce your rules, but please don't tell me some B.S. reason for it like "people flying off treadmills." Just tell me the truth: We want your $2.50/hr.

4 comments:

Sra said...

That sucks. Luckily it will be spring soon and you can take jack in a stroller for a quick stroll in the park. Also you and michael could consider going to the gym at different times so each of you could watch jack while the other works out.

Haley said...

Gotta love the Legacy Center!!! What time does Michael go to work in the morning? I go at 5 except for Wed and Thurs when I go a little later. We could meet and help kick each others butts!

Rusty and Tara said...

So true--daycare is the real money pit of the gym. Will they let you take your stroller on the track? (assuming the vein starts to feel better) And as I have a son who "hit the baby" in kids club, I think you are right--much more harm can come from dozens of children than the many, many people who daily fly off the treadmill.

natabird said...

I know... I think we will just have to take turns. Not a big deal. I just thought it was hilarious that she said people were going to fly off the treadmill.
Haley,
I might consider going early with you one day a week. I already wake up at 5 on M and W for work, but I would go with you on Fridays, maybe.