Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Local Beauty



I love living so close to so many beautiful places. If I want to go up a canyon, I have at least 8 options within an hour's drive. American Fork Canyon is the closest, being only 15 minutes from my house. The down side to AF canyon is the $6 entrance fee. Despite that, last week when my friends Katie and Andrew were visiting from Kansas, we decided to go and explore Timpanogas Cave National Monument (on a guided tour). If you haven't done this, I highly recommend it. The formations inside the cave are beautiful. The picture on the right is the largest stalactite in the cave, nicknamed The Heart of Timpanogas. It's pretty cool.
Last night, we went up there again with my parents and sister and brother-in-law. We cooked delicious tinfoil dinners and smores. I love summertime.
This afternoon, Michael and I drove up Big Cottonwood Canyon. We went up to Brighton resort and did a 3 mile loop to Twin Lakes and Lake Solitude. The hike wasn't too strenuous, but I felt pretty good about it since it was my greatest physical feat in about 2 months (I've had to cut way back on exercise since I've not been well). We spent quite a lot of time skiing the area last winter and got to do a little of that on one snowy slope today, so we felt right at home. This is a picture of us at Twin Lakes.

6 comments:

Sra said...

We did Timp Cave about a month ago. It's a great hike! I'd probably skip the tour next time cause the guides are so boring and it takes too long to get through. Seen it once seen it enough. But the climb up is nice and strenuous.

Twin Lakes looks pretty. Is that the hike that starts with the Silver Lake Loop? I was up at Silver Lake around Father's Day and there was still quite a bit of snow up there!

anna jo said...

I'm going to timp cave next week! love that place. especially love hiking up there with one hundred kids. can't wait.

also, I'm bummed I never saw katie while they were out here. it looks like y'all had fun.

Rusty and Tara said...

Good ol Timp Cave. Looks like you guys had a good time. Dad sent me a pic of the fam making smores--Halle was jealous. Are you feeling any better???

Haley said...

What an adventerous couple you guys are. Sounds like you always do plenty to keep you entertained. Darling pics!

Kirsten said...

We were just up at Twin Lakes last week. I must agree, it's a great thing to be so close to so many amazing views and recreation spots.

Unknown said...

Cool! I have never been to the cave yet! I actually have not been to ANY cave yet! I better really go!