Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Happy New Year

I've been thinking about whether or not I care to try to improve myself this year with a new year's resolution. I've been wanting to set a goal, but haven't been successful in thinking of a good one that I really care about. During this time of reflection, I realized that I don't spend enough time thinking about and processing my life. There were a few years in college, when I wrote in a journal every day. By doing that, I was able to process my thoughts and feelings and really got to know myself. I would think about my conversations with people, decide whether these interactions were positive or negative, and reflect on how they affected me. I learned how to be honest with what I was feeling...that anger was usually a way of expressing hurt and that fear was the opposite of love. I remember feeling quite emotionally healthy during those years and I think it was related to writing and reflecting (not that I'm a total emotional wreck now... cut me some slack, I'm pregnant). So, in addition to learning how to be a mother, I resolve to write in my journal this year since I'm certainly not giving up sugar.

6 comments:

Toodles said...

haha... I'm glad you're not giving up sugar this year! Writing in your journal is a very great thing to do! I've set myself to doing that more too!! Hopefully I can keep it up. When's your baby due?? What are you having? I don't think I've seen a post on these things...

Sra said...

That's a very sound resolution, methinks. You've made a lot of good acknowledgments in this little post.

I do know what you mean about getting to know yourself and being emotionally healthy through self reflection. I can't possibly keep a journal daily, it would never work, but I used to write in one when I was feeling tormented, and it was very therapeutic.

Thanks for sharing this.

Hayley said...

sugar always gets a bad wrap at the beginning of the year, but come summer parties, fall trick-or-treating, then holiday festivities, it all of a sudden is our new-found best friend again. poor sugar, it leads such a conflicting life.

go with the journal writing.

Tara said...

Believe you me, you will have ALOT of new feelings to process when the baby comes, so the journal is a great idea. We are so excited for him to get here! Tell him to hurry up...

kimmalee said...

Ooo, great idea. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Years. How is your new house? What is your due date?

The Cardon's said...

Hey Nat- Love the blog and congrats on the house (jeallous) but what I really want to know is what your having? and dont say a baby!