Saturday, May 23, 2009

A week of firsts

We had a fun week of firsts at our house:

Last Saturday, I planted my first garden. It is a small 3X5 square foot garden. I'm starting out small during my experimental year, but if I like it and it works, I'm going to do a bigger one next year.
That evening, My mom taught me how to make jam. It was a first for me and it turned out very tasty. I have enough in my freezer to last at least a year.On Monday, Jack had his first of many to come evenings in the canyon. We went up American Fork Canyon and roasted hot dogs and smores over the fire. We forgot to bring condiments, so the dogs were a little dry... oops. Jack enjoyed watching the fire and he liked looking at the rushing river. For a while now, I have been wanting to learn how to make homemade bread. It's just so much better. On Wednesday, I googled the phrase "easy bread recipe" (It's my first time... I don't want to get too complicated) and after sifting through many easy recipes, I decided on "No Knead Wheat Bread" from Betty Crocker. Well, I made bread and it was delicious. I think next week I'll try kneading.After Michael got home from work that evening, we decided to take the new car out for a spin... off road. We geared up and headed up AF canyon again. We have been looking for a new car for a while. We needed a second car and wanted something with 4 wheel drive for all our adventuring, so we ended up with a Jeep Liberty... that fits both our needs and our wants.

So, It was a fun and experimental week. I think I'll do each and every activity again.

2 comments:

kimmalee said...

Wow, that's a lot of firsts! Where to start? Glad the bread turned out well. I love home made bread but it just takes so long! Your new car is AWESOME! Congrats! Keep us updated about the garden. I'm excited to see how your experiment turns out. Not the best gardener myself.

Toodles said...

Natalie, so much going on in your life!! First off, that first picture of Jack is adorable! He's such a handsome little guy! Good job on the bread... wish I was up there to taste some!! Keep pictures of the garden coming too! I love gardening! Miss you!