Wednesday, July 8, 2009

One Little Thing

OK... I have a complaint to post...

I like to be kind to the earth and to my pocket book as well, so, recently I've been practicing the art of reusing. Over the past several months, I've purchased several used items including my kitchen table, a pump for my baby's milk, a jogging stroller, and a backpack baby carrier.

I like the idea of reusing something that someone else would have otherwise thrown away. And, I like the concept of paying a fair price for a used item. The problem with several sellers of used items is that they are not selling these items for a fair price.

If you have had something for several years and it has visible signs of your use (even if it doesn't), don't try to get only a few dollars less than the current retail price of the new version of the same item. People act like they are giving you such a good deal... I"m selling this whatever for $10 less than retail (sure, I've been using it for 10 years and I've beat the crap out of it, but hey, it's cheaper for you). I think it's fabulous that so many people are trying to make an extra few bucks on things that we do not need anymore, but don't get greedy... even if the item is in great condition, it is still used and not worth as much as a new one.

Maybe I'm just being cheap...

2 comments:

Hayley said...

for the record, my kitchen table, my baby's milk pump, my jogger, & my baby bjorn were all from craigslist. why buy new when you can buy used? but yes, the price must be right.

Sra said...

I feel that way about yard sales. Do people really think their old stuff is worth close to what they paid for it after it's been sitting in their garage for five or ten years?