Monday, July 20, 2009

Raw Wednesdays/ Half Marathon

It seems like everywhere I turn, there is some advertisement for "get thin quick" or "health in a pill." Although some of these programs might be effective, my question is are they healthy? Our country is obsessed with weight and health, but it seems that very few of us are actually taking the right steps to get there (I know there are times in my life when I fall into this category).

I don't believe in being extreme. I want to be healthy. I want to eat well and live an active lifestyle. I want to feel good. I've decided that for me, health is not a number. It's how I feel. It's having balance in my life.

I am turning over a new leaf. Today I begin my journey for better health. I'm starting with 2 steps.

Step 1 is Raw Wednesdays. On Wednesdays, I will only be consuming raw foods. This is my menu for the coming Wednesday:

Breakfast: Berry Salad
Lunch: Greens and Veggie Salad with raw Almonds
Dinner: Celery and Avocado soup
Dessert: Mango Sorbet
Snacks: Whatever I want as long as it's raw

I have been wanting to incorporate more raw foods into my diet for a long time, and I'm going to do raw Wednesdays until I feel like I've learned what I want to learn: planning, recipes I like, how to use a dehydrator, which raw foods I enjoy and which I would prefer to stay away from, what I can eat as a meal vs. snack, etc.

Step 2 is that today is the first day of a 12 week training schedule to run a half marathon. I will be training with my friend Nichole. I am feeling very excited and motivated to get back into shape (and it wouldn't hurt if I lost a few of the lingering baby pounds in the process, but like I said, health is not a number for me).

So, there you have it... my first two steps of my journey for better health... wish me luck. I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

Toodles said...

Raw Wednesday sounds awesome!!! I may have to start incorporating Raw wednesday into my life too! Good luck with the half marathon too. :)

I love the pictures from CO! Jack is lucky to have a cousin so close in age. That will make family reunions a lot of fun! Speaking of which, we do have a lot of reunions in the summer! Planned reunions and lots of informal reunions too!

Hope you're good! Miss you tons!

Sra said...

Viel Glueck! I agree that health is how you feel, and not a number. I stopped weighing myself for that very reason. I don't need the scale to tell me if I need to eat better and exercise more. I can tell by how I feel and how my clothes fit.

Tara said...

Love it! And that is what I tell my clients EVERY SINGLE TIME I see them. Everyone is so obsessed with weight when it is really the LEAST important part of health. Keep posting your Raw Wed meal plans--I'd love to play along. And....I ran almost 4 miles yesterday, so do the Denver 1/2 and motivate me to do it with you!