Wednesday, August 27, 2008

San Francisco

Michael and I spent this last weekend in San Francisco. Michael has been dying to see Radiohead live for pretty much his entire life, so when he heard that they were playing at the Outside Lands Festival, he forked over the cash and we had a music-filled vacation to plan.
Outside Lands put on a pretty good show. We saw plenty of great concerts including, but not limited to Radiohead, Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals, Tom Petty and the Heart Breakers, Beck, Wilco, Jack Johnson, and several bands that we hadn't ever heard of (I can't remember the names off the top of my head). The selection was pretty diverse, so we never got stuck in one genre for too long. Here are a few pics of some of the shows.

We also did a little sight seeing while we were in the city. On Thursday evening, we visited and went on a tour of Alcatraz. We also spent some time at Fisherman's Warf. On Monday, we had a few hours before our flight home, so we walked through China Town and Union Square.

4 comments:

Sra said...

I was impressed with the lineup of this concert myself, but I was concerned about whether there would be far too many people there, which is why I didn't seriously consider going.

Ian and I went to Bumbershoot in Seattle last year, and we couldn't move without bumping into someone. It was ridiculous and took away from the enjoyment.

Did you see a band called Dredg? They are one of my favorites.

natabird said...

We missed Dredg. I'll have to check out one of their albums.

It was pretty crowded. I think there were upwards of 60,000 or so people there. The crowds weren't bad at the smaller names who played during the day, but the more popular concerts were packed. We couldn't even see the stage at Radiohead. Luckily they had large screens so we could still see what was going on.

On Saturday, I stumbled upon a golden spot on a small hill whilst trying to find an outhouse. This turned out to be an awesome view and away from the huge crowds, so we enjoyed the Saturday and Sunday concerts from there.

anna jo said...

nat and m. bird, that sounds like the best music vacation ever! I am seriously jealous. and what a great line up too! I hope seeing radiohead live was everything michael bird has ever dreamed of and more.

Rusty and Tara said...

Too much fun! How was flying on the prego nausea??? Way to get in one last hoorah before your "fun" life is over and your "mommy" life begins.