Friday, March 27, 2009

A Small Accomplishment

After finishing school, I discovered reading for pleasure (something that was foreign to me during my college years). Although I quite enjoy reading, I have never been one to read long books. I get bored with them and impatient with myself (I have never been a terribly speedy reader).
A few months ago, I was looking for a book to read and at the suggestion of my sister, Tara, tararustyhallejosh.blogspot.com I decided to take on Gone With the Wind. It has 1024 pages, so normally I wouldn't have touched it, but I did, and I finished it today (I started it before Christmas). Oh, and I loved it. Although I do feel sorry for poor Scarlett. Her life is so hard. Oh well, I'll not think of it now.
So all I'm saying is, "good for me"... and does anyone have a suggestion for another good book for me to read (it doesn't have to be long)?

4 comments:

Sra said...

I recommend you join Goodreads.com. It's a social networking place for bookworms, but I mostly just use it to keep track of the books that I've read. You can find my goodreads widget on the lefthand sidebar of my blog. It shows the books I'm currently reading (though sometimes I'm not good at updating it).

I can recommend Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut (if you like the absurd). Also enjoyable and easy to read is Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book, about an orphaned boy raised by ghosts in a graveyard. I imagine that one will eventually be made into a movie. I also love Watership Down by Richard Adams (it's about rabbits, but kind of has a fantasy/adventure feel), Pope Joan by Donna Cross (a fictional story about a pope who was actually a woman -- based on actual speculation, and a great read), and Cycler by Lauren McLaughlin (a fictional teenage story about a girl who becomes a boy during that time of the month, it's gender/sexuality themed, obviously, and very interesting.)

Josh said...

After I finished "Gone With the Wind" Tara told me of a "sequel" to the book called "Scarlett." If you want to continue the saga of Scarlett and Rhett you should read it.

Tara said...

Goodreads is a good place to go. And also, Kasey is right--"Scarlett," although very different, is worth reading. I also just read a book called "Marjorie Morningstar" that was pretty good. But I haven't really had any good reads in awhile. Another one of my favorite books (long--but not GWTW long) is called "Angle of Repose"

Good luck and let me know if you strike gold!

natabird said...

Thanks guys. I'll start reading those ones and join goodreads.